Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Aug. 10th- stripping the roof





Had a cloudy morning, and was playing around on the "repairing yesterday's trailers" website looking at rehabbing the roof, so I thought I get started a bit. There are several coatings on the roof. Looks like every time there was a leak, the solution was to smear something heavier than the last coat to cover it. My ultimate goal is to bring the whole thing back to the aluminum finish and polish it, but there is a lot of goop to get off first. Started with a scrapper and that seemed to get some of the tar coat off- at least the parts that had cracks in it. Also tried Jasco on the "snow seal" finish. That got some of it, but turned into a gooey mess. I probably got 3' by 8' somewhat cleaned up, but will still have to take a heavier stripper to get it all off. Might go to the local auto store and try some airplane stripper- that is getting good results on the sites I am watching. Getting hot up there, so will continue later today. At best, I cleaned most of the good of the trim screws, so I can remove them and the tin and try cleaning while on the ground- might have a bit more leverage. The roof is 5 panels instead of one big piece, so might not be original.

No comments:

Post a Comment