Thursday, August 4, 2011

August 4th recap

I'm new to this blogging stuff, so I'm not too sure how to put it all together.  I posted a bunch of pictures earlier, but never said anything.  So, to recap the day....
Kind of woke up bored today and didn't have too much work, soooooo, let's go play with the trailer.  It was just too hot and humid, and I've been getting sunburned stripping paint, so I figured I'd work inside until the weather dies down a bit and I can start taking the skin off the outside. 
It really started of innocently enough- I just wanted to take the trim off the kitchen sink and counter.  It was all screwed in with the hourglass screws like everything else on this can.  Only a few to pull and the back splash came off fine.  It' a very thin laminated piece of brown fiber board.  Should be easy enough to replicate.  I went after the kitchen sink next.  Had to disconnect the water pump line, and then saw a line from the faucet that dropped out the bottom.  Looks like someone had originally hooked the line to a hose bib to get direct running water.  Funny, because the drain is a hose at the bottom, so it's pouring right back out.  Pulled that too, and disconcerted the hose/drain.  The counter came off easy enough, but in order to get the cabinet frame out see "lots of dry rot" pictures around the kitchen window.  The whole wall panel needs to be replaced, so the kitchen cabinet and the over head storage cabinets had to come out.  More little hour glass screws...  The worst came on the side wall of the kitchen counter.  It was nailed in from the other side, so I had to take off the back skin (left bedroom wall) to get the 20 nails out.  Two pieces of panel down...oh well.  Got the cabinet out, the cabinets on top...still motivated..or bored.  I decided to go after the closet area.  Since we aren't hooking up gas, the heater can go- looked like a death trap to me anyway.  Check the picture of the exhaust pipe- sort of attached to the exterior...sort of not...safe  :)
Got all that and the shelves out- this could make a little toilet area, but it takes away most of the storage.  So, to be determined later by my wife.
Still bored- let's take the cabinets over the table.  Had to take the table out first (and clear off all my tools- doesn't it look much tidier).  I have never dropped the table since we got the Garwood, but when I lifted it to collapse the center leg, the whole thing just dropped off the wall (hinge was still intact on each side)- not sure what I did or how to recreate that, but I'll wage that battle another day.  The cabinets above the table were not original- someone did a nice job recreating the curved ceiling, and they fit snug.  I am keeping these and will try to make another set to go over the bed in back.  Storage problem getting better.
I took out some of the paneling that was next to the kitchen sink- there were three vents on the outside- only the top one showed on the inside- probably for the stove that was originally there.  The lower two vents were covered with a newer panel (not very well). When I pulled it, the top vent was open and the lower was stuffed with insulation. 
That brings me to a couple points- I have been finding insulation here and there in the walls.  It's only about 1/2" thick, and there is no backing paper.  Better than nothing, but I still want to replace it with a reflective shield panel.
And point number 2- I just got a new best friend.  My little flat head drill bit that was somewhat working to remove the hour glass screws SNAPPED.  That was my one and only bit that I have had success with.  In despair, I went to the local True Value hardware store...and low and behold, in the corner of the bit rack was...gasp...an hour glass bit.  It is an "EASYPOWER - Isomax- the depth is 3/16" .  It fits perfect and grabs great.  I am on the lookout for more. 
So - the inside is pretty much empty of all framing except the closet.  I might pull some panel, but will probably wait until next week sometime so I can enjoy the weekend.  This thing is addictive, and I have to keep track of what I pull and where it goes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment