Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nov. 16th- Almost done with the windows

A light at the end of a tunnel- the windows are almost done...too bad it's a long train ride.  I have been trying to get to a window per day, but it's averaged out to about 2 weeks.  I won't get into the lengthy process, but it's basically various sanding blocks, steel wool, then polish...and elbow grease. 
I finally had to break down and buy some parts for the trailer.  Up until now, I have gotten away with paint stripper and sanding blocks, but the time has come when we had to decide how original we wanted to keep her.  The word "Vintage" keeps popping up on all the sites I am reading, so I feel better knowing I am not cheating or cutting corners. I am replacing the window stop and gaskets for the seals- one window has been replaced with silicone putty, and it looks horrible.  I am so glad there are other people out there that care enough to re manufacture 50 year old products for these things.  If we ever sell this beauty, I want the new owner know we did the best we could to keep to the original design.  So far so good. 
Thanksgiving is next week, so I need to finish and get ready for some ping pong (table doubles as my shop table)- happy holidays! 




No comments:

Post a Comment