Thursday, January 19, 2012

Jan. 19th- Plan "B"

I truly has occurred to me that I am over thinking this thing.  In all reality, this was built over 50 years ago, they were mass producing these things across the country, and they really aren't meant to last that long based on the materials they used.  However, there is always the thrill of finding that diamond in a lump of coal.  Thus, regardless of the age, I really do envision a finished product that will stand out.

So...back to the drawing board.  I follow a site called "Vintage Trailer Restoration" that I have learned millions of little tips, met some great people, and have been able to find others that have had the same issues that we are faced with on every turn.  With that being said, I have also followed several people in several stages of rebuild.  Reinstalling it directly back onto the trailer is not an option, and neither is detaching the wood frame from the metal (at this time).  My original goal was to build the walls to match exactly, take the roof off, remove the walls, and put it back together.  I just haven't been 100% confident on the new frame fit, so (upon advise from another "restorer"), I am doing it upside down.

Ultimately, no matter how you build it, the tin has to match the studs, and some of them aren't the best of the lot.  I built some more saw horses, made use of some very old, but long 2x6's as a base, and ran 1x3's across all the vertical seams.  I used drywall screws to attach the tin to the "base" with the inside panels facing up, matching up all the center seams and nail patterns, and then laid out the wood on top based on the screw holes.  Basically, it is recreating the frame from the inside out. I have it pretty well laid out and even found a couple supports that I missed ( they had rotted out on the old frame, so I never caught it), and ready to finally assemble.  My wife and daughter have been very patient as I have been working on this project every night this week after work, but I will be glad to finally answer the persistent questions..."When are you going to put it back together?"
e






No comments:

Post a Comment